Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Aliss IPA

Homebrewing is a hobby my dad and I share.  Shortly after I told him I’d started brewing, he ended up winning a silent auction for a Mr. Beer kit, which he’s greatly enjoyed using.  Once he'd gone through all the kits he had, I started putting together 2-gallon extract-with-grain recipes he could brew in his small kettle and ferment in the Mr. Beer fermenter.  We also try to brew together as often as we can, which ends up being once every couple months or so; it’s been a great bonding experience for us.

Among the many things he does well, my dad is an accomplished woodturner.  In line with this, he’s named his homebrewery Turned Timber; his beers are usually named for different tree species or woodturning paraphernalia.  Our most recent brew, Aliss, is instead named for the bulldozer he used this summer to pull up tree stumps from several acres he and a couple friends cleared that will eventually be the location of my parents’ new house.  An American IPA, this is by far the most hop-forward beer we’ve brewed together, and will be the first dry hopping he has done; it should be a fine thirst-slaking beverage after a hot day pulling stumps with Aliss.

The brewday went smoothly, and enjoyed a bit of notoriety for our use of snow in the cooling process.  I’m looking forward to my next visit when I’ll get a taste of this one.

Aliss - American IPA

Projected OG: 1.072
Projected SRM: 11.1
Projected IBU: 59

for 2 gallons:

Grain/Fermentables
2.75 lb  Light DME
2 oz        C 120
8 oz        Table sugar (10 min)

Hops
.25 oz     Columbus (14.4%) (60 min)
.25 oz     Columbus (20 min)
.5 oz        Amarillo (7.5%) (10 min)
.5 oz        Cascade (5%) (5 min)
.5 oz        Amarillo (Dry hop 7 hops)
.5 oz        Cascade (Dry hop 7 days)

Yeast
½ pkg     US-05

Brewday: 5 February 2011
Fermented at ~63̊F ambient.

No comments:

Post a Comment