Wednesday, June 13, 2012

English Summer Ale Tasting

At this blog's one-year mark a few months ago, I challenged myself to post more tasting notes of my beers.  I've fallen behind on this resolution, but am getting back on track with a couple tastings this week.  First up is my English summer ale; while the WY1028 sent this in a different direction than I'd originally conceived, it's still a very quaffable beer for a hot summer day.

English Summer Ale

Appearance - Pours a billowy head of large bubbles that hangs around for most of the glass.  Slightly hazy, with a warm gold colour.

Smell - Bread and biscuits, with even more emerging as it warms.  Light floral hop notes in the background.

Taste - Lots of mineral character comes forth immediately; strangely, it suggests an almost lager-like quality to me, which has backed off some over the last few weeks.  The wheat comes through in the middle, with qualities of warm bread and crackers.  Some fruitiness comes in near the end, accompanied by more bread.  Mineral lingers.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation may be a touch high for an English style, but it's not bothersome here.  Light to medium-light body.

Overall - It's an intriguing beer, especially for being so light.  I now have a very clear idea what is meant by "mineral" notes deriving from some English yeast.  This is definitely a more appealing wheat style to me than hefeweizen (too banana-clove-bubblegum) and wit (too celery), and more interesting than a lot of American wheats.  This one is probably ready for a rebrew just as it is, though I'd like to try a fruitier English yeast.

No comments:

Post a Comment